Este / esta tipo

< Previous | Next >

vivik1

english
Hi,
I am confused about the usage of este/esta/esto when using it before 'tipo de ...' . I am familiar with the normal usage dependent on gender of the words, but this doesn't seem to apply when followed by the phrase 'tipo de...'. For example, I saw a sentence saying 'no me gusta este tipo de cerveza' and another one saying 'no quiero este tipo de hombre'. So how do you know which form to use in this situation?

• jsvillar

Spanish - Spain
    'Tipo' siempre es masculino, igual que 'Clase' es femenino. El demostrativo concuerda con 'tipo':
    No me gusta este tipo/esta clase de cerveza.

'Tipo/a' también significa 'persona', pero ese es otro significado:
    Este tipo es tonto.
    Esta tipa es tonta.

gvergara

Español
    Hi,
    I am confused about the usage of este/esta/esto when using it before 'tipo de ...' . I am familiar with the normal usage dependent on gender of the words, but this doesn't seem to apply when followed by the phrase 'tipo de...'. For example, I saw a sentence saying 'no me gusta este tipo de cerveza' and another one saying 'no quiero este tipo de hombre'. So how do you know which form to use in this situation?
    No sé si sea innecesario, pero igual me gustaría explicitarle a @vivik1 que lo que te explicaron es válido para otros tipos de determinantes (siempre en masculino delante de tipo de el/aquel/nuestro tipo de...).

gengo

American English
    For example, I saw a sentence saying 'no me gusta este tipo de cerveza' and another one saying 'no quiero este tipo de hombre'. So how do you know which form to use in this situation?
    Although we don't use gender here, it's the same basic rule in English when it comes to number:

I like this type of sunglasses. :tick:
    I like these type of sunglasses. :cross:

gengo

American English
    I'm going to have to disagree, Gengo - or maybe I've misunderstood what you mean by "same":

"este tipo de autos":tick:
    "this type of cars":cross:
    You changed the noun from my example, so I don't see how you are disagreeing. My point was that in English, when we have a noun that is always plural, such as sunglasses, and we modify that noun with "type," we still use the singular "this" to modify "type," since it is not modifying the other noun.

< Previous | Next >