durch die Jugend ging

< Previous | Next >

sedmont

English -- USA
For "durch die Jugend ging" in the German sentence below, which English translation gets the meaning:

"due to the young people...happened"

"went through/moved through/coursed through the young people"

Als gegen Ende der sechziger Jahre ein neuer Aufbruch sozialen Wollens vor allem
durch die Jugend ging, wirkte in den Versammlungen seine hochaufgerichtete Gestalt auf viele der Jüngeren wie ein Mahnruf aus vergangener Zeit.

1) When, above all
due to the young people, a new awakening of social will happened toward the end of the 1960s, his highly upright figure at gatherings looked to many of the youth like an exhortation from the past.

2) When toward the end of the 1960s
a new awakening of social will went through/moved through/coursed through the young people above all, his highly upright figure at gatherings looked to many of the youth like an exhortation from the past.

Thanks very much for any assistance.

• Kajjo

(2) is correct, (1) doesn't fit at all.

Particularly the young people were affected by the new awakening of social ambitions...

a new awakening of social ambitions hit most notably the young people...

bearded

Hi sedmont
    I of course agree on the above suggestions, but please consider whether/in which formulation in English the article is really necessary (e.g. I would say ''in particular, young people were affected...'', without 'the': but you are the native..).

elroy: please let us know what your alternative wording would be.

Last edited:

sedmont

English -- USA
    Hi bearded, good to hear from you again. I agree that one does not need "the" before young people and it is better without "the". Thanks for noticing that.

Thanks very much also to elroy and Kajjo, whose comments I am also glad to hear.

So it's option #2, altered somewhat like so:

When toward the end of the 1960s a new awakening of social will/ambition affected young people in particular, his highly upright figure at gatherings looked to many of the youth like an exhortation from the past.

So "durch die Jugend ging" does not have the feeling of something dynamically flowing through, like a wave? That is too literal? What one should feel with "durch die Jugend ging" is a more instantaneous impact, like "affected/hit"?

Last edited:

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    So "durch die Jugend ging" does not have the feeling of something dynamically flowing through, like a wave?
    Doch, man kann es durchaus als figürliche Sprechweise auffassen, als eine Bewegung, die durch die Jugend geht ("something dynamically flowing through"). Es ist auch eine „normale“ Ausdrucksweise, nicht altmodisch oder merkwürdig oder besonders hochgestochen. Wenn sich auch die Ausdrücke
    went through/moved through/coursed through
    „normal“ anhören – mit anderen Worten, nicht merkwürdig – dann kannst du sie gut als Übersetzung verwenden.

sedmont

English -- USA
    I don't think I saw the above reply (#6) until now (Dec., 2019). A belated thanks for the helpful comment, Schlabberlatz.

< Previous | Next >