duplicate efforts

francais_espanol

Canada, English
Bonjour

Je ne vois pas comment traduire le mot « duplicate » dans la phrase suivante:

« The projects have few statutory ties, little or no coordination and sometimes duplicate effort ».

Voici ce que j'ai en français:

« Les projets ont peu de liens statutaires, sont peu ou prou coordonnés et doublent??? parfois les efforts ».

Je vous remercie d'avance de toute suggestion.

• liulia

English/French
    Here are some ideas:

"recoupement" and "chevauchement" are good words for duplication, but closer to "overlap". ("Il y a un certain recoupement entre les tavaux de ces deux groupes.")

More appropriately, I think, you could say " leurs projets font souvent double emploi avec les travaux d'autres groupes."

pelodyte

English (USA), Spanish (Spain)
    I have a further question about this old thread. The problem that I see with "chevauchement" (overlapping) is that it's not necessarily a *bad* or undesirable thing. Two working groups could have overlapping responsibilities, and cooperate or share resources in the overlapping tasks or project areas.
    On the other hand, saying that "duplicating efforts" or "duplicating work" is going on, implies that people are wasting their time. The idea is that two or more parties are completing the same task independently, without knowing that the others are doing it too. This may be due to poor coordination or project management, and is definitely a bad thing in a company as it wastes everybody's time and resources. It is a term I've heard a lot in American English and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a sure way to translate this concept in French business-speak. "Chevauchement" doesn't feel right to me, so I'm relaunching this thread -- does anybody know what would be the appropriate term? Merci!

jetset

French
    Pelodyte, for the phrase in post#1 (" The projects have few statutory ties, little or no coordination and sometimes duplicate effort ") I see : "Les projets (...) et [sont] parfois redondants".