Dudum pro parte

< Previous | Next >

Dongluo

Chinese
Hola, amigos.
He leído una frase en español pero con una nota de pie en latín donde pone "El breve Dudum pro parte".
La frase es:
Juntamente les mostraréis una escritura en pergamino que está en San Pablo, en la cual se hace mención de mí, de cómo el papa me hizo nuncio en estas partes de la India.
Me podría decir por favor qué significa ¨ El breve Dudum pro parte?
¡Muchas gracias!

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I hope your English is better than my Spanish.:oops:

A Breve is a kind of papal letter. Breves and papal bulls are usually named after their opening words. It is typical for the names of breves and bulls that the opening words are used as names, without reference to their meanings.

Dudum pro parte is the name of a breve of Pope Leo X addressed to the king of Portugal, dated March 31, 1516. It is part of the aftermath of the division of the New World between Spain and Portugal by Alexander VI in 1497 and stipulates the rights and duties of Portugal in the New World and Africa.

Apparently your author is mentioned in that breve.

More context here:

EDIT: I found the text of the breve here. In context, dudum pro parte translates as "a while ago, on behalf of ...".

Last edited:

Dongluo

Chinese
    I hope your English is better than my Spanish.:oops:

A Breve is a kind of papal letter. Breves and papal bulls are usually named after their opening words. It is typical for the names of breves and bulls that the opening words are used as names, without reference to their meanings.

Dudum pro parte is the name of a breve of Pope Leo X addressed to the king of Portugal, dated March 31, 1516. It is part of the aftermath of the division of the New World between Spain and Portugal by Alexander VI in 1497 and stipulates the rights and duties of Portugal in the New World and Africa.

Apparently your author is mentioned in that breve.

More context here:

EDIT: I found the text of the breve here. In context, dudum pro parte translates as "a while ago, on behalf of ...".
    Thanks a lot. Your information is very helpful. Now, I got it.

< Previous | Next >