Disability Department or Health Information Dept. at a clinic

< Previous | Next >

verona04

USA - English
There is a department at the clinic that is officially called the Department of Health Information but informally is called the Disability Department. It is a group of people in the Health Information office who help patients fill out all the forms and get the necessary approvals from their employer, insurance company, and/or government agencies related to disability insurance, worker's compensation, and Family and Medical Leave (FMLA). The Health Information Department is also in charge of medical records and other things besides the disability-related issues.

I didn't find anything quite like "Disability Department" this in the dictionary or forums. Departamento de Incapacidad doesn't sound right. I also found Oficina de Asuntos de las Personas con Discapacidades but that seems wordy and also doesn't capture what this department does. I'd appreciate your suggestions.

• ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    This one is hard to accommodate.
    Maybe something like "Oficina/Servicio de información sobre bajas laborales" might work, as your definition makes the original "disability" sound as if a reference to a "incapacidad temporal (IT)" rather than to simply "incapacidad". But you might want to preserve the quite informal way to name this department and so "Oficina/Servicio de Incapacidad/Incapacidades" might work after all!

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    I am not sure why you want to refer to this office by an informal name. Why not simply translate Department of Health Information and add (información sobre bajas laborales y ayuda con aplicaciones de programas de beneficios para personas con discapacidades) in parentheses?

verona04

USA - English
    This one is hard to accommodate.
    Maybe something like "Oficina/Servicio de información sobre bajas laborales" might work, as your definition makes the original "disability" sound as if a reference to a "incapacidad temporal (IT)" rather than to simply "incapacidad". But you might want to preserve the quite informal way to name this department and so "Oficina/Servicio de Incapacidad/Incapacidades" might work after all!
    Thanks, Chema. I'm glad I'm not the only one having difficulty with this term. Just for further clarification, disability doesn't relate only to work-related injuries or disability. Here in the US we have to apply for short-term disability or medical leave when we have to be off work due to a health concern, maternity leave, or to take care of an ill family member. It's all covered under the general umbrella of disability and FMLA.
    I am not sure why you want to refer to this office by an informal name. Why not simply translate Department of Health Information and add (información sobre bajas laborales y ayuda con aplicaciones de programas de beneficios para personas con discapacidades) in parentheses?
    I want to use the informal name because I am interpreting something a provider says and want to maintain the same register. This isn’t for the translation of a written document.

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    Here in the US we have to apply for short-term disability or medical leave when we have to be off work due to a health concern, maternity leave, or to take care of an ill family member.
    The same goes in Spain. We talk about situaciones de IT (incapacidad temporal) to refer to short-term disability or medical leave.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    ... la oficina donde le ayudan con los papeles de "discapacidad"...

< Previous | Next >