Decanus Ordinis Medicinae

< Previous | Next >

voltape

Peruvian Spanish/USA English
Salve! I have a Harvard Diploma of Scientiarum Medicarum Magister - It is signed by the PRAESES, which is the President of the University, and by the DECANUS ORDINIS MEDICINAE - Does this latter mean_ Dean of the College of Physicians, or Dean of the Professional Association of Physicians or Dean of the School of Medicina, or anything else? Thank you

• Starless74

Italiano
    Salve!
    A doyen (decanus) as far as I know is the longest-serving professor in a Faculty.
    Wait for AE native speakers to provide details or corrections.

Last edited:

voltape

Peruvian Spanish/USA English
    Grazie, Starless -
    appunto il mio dubbio proveniva dell'italiano: come hanno scritto "Decanus Ordinis Medicinae" io pensavo ch'era forse "Decano dell'Ordine dei Medici" - (Quello che in spagnoulo diciamo "Decano del Colegio Médico). Ma non so per chè il Decano dell'Ordine dei Medici" dovrebba firmare il diploma, e non un'autorità universitaria

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Dean of the School of Medicine. In the US, deans are administrators of divisions of a university.

I'm familiar with the meaning starless mentioned. It is not used in the US.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I should have added that the usage starless mentioned is used in the US outside of universities, just as it is in the rest of the world:

Example: The dean of the diplomatic corps in a country is the longest-serving ambassador, unless there is a nuncio. In countries where there is a nuncio, the nuncio is the dean of the diplomatic corps.

< Previous | Next >