Cuius rei notitiam ad liquidum Deus noverit

< Previous | Next >

KsSp

Russian (Moscow dialect) - Russia
Hello everyone, and Scholiast and bearded in particular!
Only three confusing sentences from Origen's Homilies on Luke are left. Here is the first one of these:
'Cuius rei notitiam ad liquidum Deus noverit, et si quis, licet raro, fuerit inventus, quem Christus instruxerit.'
And an attempt to understand it:
'Whose guilt [thing?] will be clearly seen by God, and if someone, although it occurs rarely, is found, he is enlightened by Christ.'
The context: it is a shame for an angel when a righteous person trusts him and commits a sin. Conversely, an angel is praised when the person entrusted to him is saved, as in accordance with the merits of the ones who they [angels] take care of, angels more clearly or less clearly, more often or less often, see the face of the Father. And then comes this sentence.
Is this interpretation close to the original sentence?
Thank you.

• Snodv

English - Mid-Southern US
    I'll try it...I think cuius probably goes with rei, and I am guessing since liquidum doesn't agree with anything it must be the noun. "God will know for a certainty the knowledge [sounds redundant] of that thing [apparently mentioned before this sentence for that relative to make sense], and anybody (granted, rarely) will be found whom Christ will have instructed."
    I don't like it much, so there are probably better attempts to come.

Scholiast

Scholiasta amicis collaborantibusque S.P.D.

Snodv noster is certainly right about cuius rei, and that it is referring back (with cuius as a 'connecting relative') to the last-mentioned thing, or circumstance, in the previous sentence. I also think it might be better punctuated with a semi-colon after noverit.

My suggestion therefore: 'Of this [matter] God will have taken clear cognizance; and also, if (however rarely) anyone is found whom Christ has directed [i.e. anyone who has, unusually, followed Christ's instructions rather than succumbing to temptation and sinning]'.

Σ

KsSp

Russian (Moscow dialect) - Russia
    Thank you, Snodv and Scholiast! Now it is more or less clear (although the whole idea of the passage is a little difficult to understand, per se).

< Previous | Next >