Cuidar/ cuidarse en las comidas

< Previous | Next >

Malbecblend

English (United States)
One of the exercises I have is this:

Patricia no está a dieta pero ___________(cuidar/cuidarse) en las comidas.

First, the preposition "en" rather than "de" is confusing to me. While my guess is that the translation is 'she is careful about her meals,' I'm also confused about whether to use cuidar or cuidarse to say that.

• Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    "Cuidarse de las comidas" is like "beware of the food" (as if the food was going to cause you a harm), while "cuidarse en las comidas" is more like being cautious with what you eat, to eat with moderation or avoiding certain fattening or unhealthy foods.

Regarding the correct conjugation of the verb, it is "Ella se cuida". I'd say that it is more a traditional reflexive rather than a propositional verb. Similar to "look after something" (cuidar algo) vs to "look after yourself" (cuidarse -uno mismo-)

jsvillar

Spanish - Spain
    Yes, as Gabriel says, the verb is 'cuidar en=take care at' plus a reflexive pronoun 'se=of herself'. It is not 'cuidarse de=to be aware of'.

The 'en' makes it clear we are using a reflexive.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    "Cuidarse de las comidas" is like "beware of the food" (as if the food was going to cause you a harm), while "cuidarse en las comidas" is more like being cautious with what you eat, to eat with moderation or avoiding certain fattening or unhealthy foods.

Regarding the correct conjugation of the verb, it is "Ella se cuida". I'd say that it is more a traditional reflexive rather than a propositional verb. Similar to "look after something" (cuidar algo) vs to "look after yourself" (cuidarse -uno mismo-)
    Gracias

< Previous | Next >