Conciones de praecipvis sanctorvm festis, a festo beatissim a: maria magdalene

< Previous | Next >
  • DDT

Italy - Italian
    I am trying to find a place for threads not respecting #2 in WR rules... Meanwhile I am moving this thread to the "Other Languages" forum for that's Latin, not Italian

DDT

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Arevee said:
    thank you, I appreciate the help.
    Hi Arevee
    your question is not difficult to answer , but the sentence it's not correct in writing , can you check the spelling please?
    I doubt "festo" and "Magdalene" are spelled in the right way ..
    Anyway it should be
    "Debates about most important feasts of saints, reguarding in particular the feast of Blessed "Mary Magdalene"
    Vitt52

Arevee

USA, English
    Thank you Vittorio, but I copied it directly from the title page. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

remosfan

Canada, English
    I did some searching and I think the title is

"Conciones de praecipvis sanctorvm festis, a festo beatissimae Mariae Magdalenae"

And I would hesitantly translate this as

"Sermons about the chief feasts of the saints, from the feast of the most blessed Mary Magdalene"

My biggest problem is the word "a", which I've translated "from", but I have very little idea if that's right. The rest's got to be pretty close.

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Hi Remosfan
    I'll check for "festo" , I interpreted it as "a festa " (ablative) . Later I'll write again.
    Vitt52
    remosfan said:
    I did some searching and I think the title is

"Conciones de praecipvis sanctorvm festis, a festo beatissimae Mariae Magdalenae"

And I would hesitantly translate this as

"Sermons about the chief feasts of the saints, from the feast of the most blessed Mary Magdalene"

My biggest problem is the word "a", which I've translated "from", but I have very little idea if that's right. The rest's got to be pretty close.

Arevee

USA, English
    Thank you both, I recently recieved these books from my Grandmother. I don't speak or read Italian or Latin , being born second generation in the states, our major concern was to fit in and learn English as our native language. I really appreciate the help and look forward to continued conversations. Thank you both!

Arevee

Arevee

USA, English
    The second book that I am looking to translate the title is: sospiri profondi dell'anima contemplativa

remosfan

Canada, English
    Hi Arevee, I'm more than happy to try and help you out. Your second book is Italian, and so I can't help you out there.

remosfan

Canada, English
    Hi Vittorio52,

I took "festo" to be the ablative of "festum", but it's this "a" that is still troubling me. Hopefully you can clear that up.

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Hi Remosfan, I can't find my Latin dictionary, can you help me with the meaning of Festum-a-um? I'll be pleased
    Grazie
    Vitt52
    remosfan said:
    Hi Vittorio52,

I took "festo" to be the ablative of "festum", but it's this "a" that is still troubling me. Hopefully you can clear that up.

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Vittorio52 said:
    Hi Remosfan, I can't find my Latin dictionary, can you help me with the meaning of Festum-a-um? I'll be pleased
    Grazie
    Vitt52
    "festum" means feats or celebration. BTW, "a festo" fits together, consider this:

a/ab = from/on/at (requiring ablative)
    festum = celebration/feast/party (neuter, ablative: festo)

Where's the problem then?

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Whodunit said:
    "festum" means feats or celebration. BTW, "a festo" fits together, consider this:

a/ab = from/on/at (requiring ablative)
    festum = celebration/feast/party (neuter, ablative: festo)

Where's the problem then?
    Hi Whodunit
    The problem for me is I don't understand what is the corresponding complement in this case for "a festo beatissima" ..(mumble mumble...:confused:)
    Vitt52

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Vittorio52 said:
    Hi Whodunit
    The problem for me is I don't understand what is the corresponding complement in this case for "a festo beatissima" ..(mumble mumble...:confused:)
    Vitt52
    "a festo beatissima" doesn't mean anything. The complements are "a festo" and "beamissimae Maria Magdalenae":

a festo = at (from doesn't make sense, does it?) the feast
    beamissimae Mariae Magdalenae = of Maria Magdalene

===

a festo beamissima Mariae Magdalenae = at the feast of the most blessed Mary Magdalene

What's your confusion? BTW, "festo" and "beamissimae" wouldn't fit together, because festo is ablative neuter and beamissimae is genitive feminine. ;)

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    I had a feeling that part of the title was missing--this should help. :)

31. Conciones de Praecipuis Sanctorum Festis, a Festo Beatissimae Mariae Magdalenae, usque ad finem anni.
    Granatensi, R. P. F. Ludovico

Published in 1585. In good condition, bound in original vellum, discolouration and wear to cover, binding is good and secure with no splits, pages and text are in very good condition with some marking, no wormholes or foxing, 554 pages. Contact us for more pictures or information. Title translates as follows: 'Sermons for principal festival days of the saints from the festival of Mary Magdalene to the end of the (ecclesiastical) year (all saints day).' The author was a professor of theology and a Dominican monk. The title R. P. F is not initials but something along the lines of reverend father/brother. Two verses from Psalms are quoted on the title page. The publisher is not identified, the bottom of the title page states where the book is for sale in Paris. In addition to sermons as stated, some 'general purpose' sermons are presented at the end of the book, applicable to 'all martyrs' and so on . Full-Leather. Good. 12 mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall. (from the website: biblio.)

Link to further info about the book

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Now it's clear!
    In the object we read "beatissima" , and it is "beatissimae" (genitive) so my first translation wasn't right, the rest "usque ad " ect.. makes it clear.
    Vitt52

remosfan

Canada, English
    la grive solitaire said:
    Title translates as follows: 'Sermons for principal festival days of the saints from the festival of Mary Magdalene to the end of the (ecclesiastical) year (all saints day).'

Thank you. I'm very proud of myself for getting the first part fairly close, and the usque makes the meaning of the a clear too.

whodunit said:
    But "beatissima(e)" isn't translated there.
    It means "most blessed", so "festival of the most blessed Mary Magdalene." But iirc it's a title used in the Catholic Church for certain saints, and maybe an English translator might not feel obliged to include it.

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Dear Arevee
    I'm sorry, next time I'll not follow my enthusiasm. If the object will be not spelled in the right way, like in this case, or corrected, or if the context will not help me. I shall not asnwer.
    Vitt52

Arevee

USA, English
    Vittorio, this seems to have caused some problems. I'm sorry that I missed the rest of the title, vfque ad finem anni.

remosfan

Canada, English
    Hi Arevee, I have a question about the style of letters on your book. Would you say they are very different than normal? I notice that it has "v" where a more modern edition would probably use "u", and you wrote "f" for "s" in "usque". Could you tell us how old your book is?

Arevee

USA, English
    That is a good question, It is bound in paper that I have never seen before, it has string on the binding, and to me it looks very old. The title is handwritten in old ink on the spine of the book. There are also notations in the margins on different pages. I now have the title, so maybe now I can research it's history.

remosfan

Canada, English
    That sounds like quite the find. It's history is probably an interesting one. And the title's being handwritten explains a lot, especially if it's old. They used to write pretty strangely back in the day.

< Previous | Next >