Cantonese: 傾偈 (聊天)

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I am a complete beginner in Cantonese, and recently someone taught me the word 傾偈. Is this a direct equivalent of 聊天 in Mandarin? (Are they used in the same way?)
Also, I have a question about the pronunciation. I looked it up in a Cantonese dictionary, and it says that the tones are king1 gai6*2. Does anyone know what 6*2 means for tones? Does it mean that it is a 多音字 with two pronunciations? Which tone should it be pronounced with here?

Thanks! :)

• yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks, YangMuye! :)
    Is king1 gai6 also possible? (I think I may have heard it pronounced king1 gai6... would this be non-standard?)

Last edited:
    I have never heard king1 gai6 but I will leave the verdict to native speakers.

There's an article claiming that Cantonese 倾偈 is closer to Mandarin 聊天 because the content of 倾偈 can be serious matters, which, ironically, is exactly the reason I feel 倾偈 is not always 聊天.
    严格讲,粤语中嘅“吹水”唔系普通话嘅“聊天”。...倾偈:交流嘅内容通常比较正经,有普通交谈嘅,有商量事情嘅。个人认为,粤语嘅“倾偈”先至系普通话所讲嘅“聊天”。
    As a native Mandarin speaker, 吹水 is definitely 聊天 to me but 倾偈 is not necessarily.

Let's wait for bilingual member's input.

tinang

Cantonese - Hong Kong
    I think "傾偈" is generally as chatting "交談' and widely use in the past. It could be "talking / discussing /sharing" and some idea exchanges.

In my district, "吹水" is chit chat for entertainment. It is very causal to talk and the content is not references. No idea exchange and only for show off.

When I said someone "吹水", it is negative and the content is not reference.

For Cantonese Pronunciation, you can use https://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/ for one of reference source.

yuechu

Canada, English
    Oh, sorry, it actually was king1 gai2! I just listened to it again. (My listening skills for Cantonese are still quite basic!)
    (My reply above can be deleted!)

Thank you all for your help!

< Previous | Next >