café batido

< Previous | Next >

Joe B

Argentinian Spanish
Hello Everyone,

In Argentina, it's very common for us to have "café batido". We mix one or two coffee spoonfuls of instant coffee, some sugar, and a drop of water, and beat it all until it's a brown cream.

When you add the hot water you get a "frothy" coffee.

What do you call that in the US? And in the UK? And if it's something that doesn't exist, what would you call it?

Many thanks!

Joe B

• Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    Oh, dear .... no, we don't have an equivalent. In fact, there's a sharp cultural divide in North America between instant coffee drinkers and "real coffee" drinkers. (I can say this with impunity because I drink both.)

Let's see: fake capuccino? Not really, because you don't use milk or cream. Whipped coffee? Accurate but I've never heard it used.

I'll go have a second cup of coffee (real, very black, Bolivian, no sugar or cream) and ponder further. In the meantime, I think I'd stick with "fake capuccino".

Lo siento que no puedo ayudarte mejor.

saludos

carlingüismos

Spain/UK - English/Spanish
    OK! Thanks for the recipe - I'll try that later on, see how it tastes.....

To be honest, this seems like a very "local" coffee style. I have never come across it and agree with what Ñawi says. As I don't believe it exists elsewhere, though would love to be contradicted, you might want to have a look at the Starbucks site for inspiration in your search for an "invented" name ......
    - look under "nuestras bebidas favoritas".

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe B

Argentinian Spanish
    Guys,

Thank you so much Chaska Ñawi and carlingüismos. You've been awesome. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think "whipped coffee" describes it accurately - no wonder you've never heard it used, you don't have it!

Really grateful.

Cheers!

Wandering JJ

British English
    I know I'm a little late, but I remember preparing coffee exactly as describedin Post #1 when I was a student living away from home. Usually, after a night out drinking beer, we'd return to someone's apartment and, finding there was no milk, prepare coffee exactly as described. I had completely forgotten about this practice until I can upon this thread!

< Previous | Next >