Bulgarian: Pronunciation of ъ, у, о

< Previous | Next >

EternoBGV

Thai
Hello,

According to some page, when they are in stressed syllables, ъ is pronounced /ɤ/, у is pronounced /u/, and о is pronounced /ɔ/; and when they are in unstressed syllables, ъ is pronounced [ɐ] (like а), and у and о are pronounced [o]. My question is: do we really need to differentiate these sounds depending on their position in words? Would it sound OK to natives' ears if I always pronounced ъ, у, о as /ɤ/, /u/, /ɔ/, respectively, regardless of their position?

Thank you in advance.

• Christo Tamarin

Bulgarian
    I cannot understand you well.

Yes, you can pronounce the unstressed Ъ-У-О vowels like the stressed Ъ-У-О vowels. This will not be noticed.

The true rule is as follows.

In unstressed positions, the Bulgarian ears do not distinguish A-Ъ. Each one of A and Ъ can be pronounced in any position between A and Ъ.

In unstressed positions, the Bulgarian ears do not distinguish O-У. Each one of О and У can be pronounced in any position between О and У.

Note_1: No strict position is assigned for these 4 vowels when they are unstressed.

Note_2: For E and И, no such rule exists.

EternoBGV

Thai
    In unstressed positions, the Bulgarian ears do not distinguish A-Ъ. Each one of A and Ъ can be pronounced in any position between A and Ъ.

In unstressed positions, the Bulgarian ears do not distinguish O-У. Each one of О and У can be pronounced in any position between О and У.
    Thank you. Does it cause any confusion in the spellings?

< Previous | Next >