beszélget vs beszélgetnek

< Previous | Next >

Olaszinhok

Standard Italian
Hello everybody.
I'm revising a little bit my Hungarian, which is very rusty, to be honest. I have come across this very easy sentence, but I'm quite puzzled because according to the answer key, the verb should be in the singular form beszélget instead of the plural one beszélgetnek. Could you please explain to me why? Is there a mistake? Are both verb forms possible? Probably, I'm missing something...
Klára és Bea a büfetben beszélget (nek).
Thank you in advance :)

• AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Hello,

In Hungarian grammar, 1+1=1. :)

If there are two singular subjects joined with "és", the verb is usually in the 3rd person singular form. However, I wouldn't say the plural form is incorrect, it's just less common.
    The 3rd person plural form is only obligatory if at least one of the subjects is in the plural form (has the -k ending). As you probably know, we use singular nouns after numerals, so they take singular verbs.

Gábor és Barbi a büfében beszélget(nek).
    Három lány a büfében beszélget.
    A fiúk a büfében beszélgetnek.
    A fiúk és Barbi a büfében beszélgetnek.
    Ők a büfében beszélgetnek.

Olaszinhok

Standard Italian
    In Hungarian grammar, 1+1=1. :)
    Thank you very much indeed, I should've known that…

As you probably know, we use singular nouns after numerals, so they take singular verbs.

Gábor és Barbi a büfében beszélget(nek).
    Három lány a büfében beszélget.
    Yes, I do. Not only do I know the use of singular nouns after numerals, but also after other words, such as: sok, hány, kevés, néhány, etc.

Sok jó film van most a moziban
    Hány dollárt szeretne beváltani
    Kevés ember sportol Magyarorságon
    Csak néhány ember volt ott. :)

< Previous | Next >