Barcelona or Barçelona

< Previous | Next >

London

English
Which is the correct spelling, Barcelona or Barçelona? I know that in Castillian the city is spelt Barcelona but could someone tell me what the spelling is in Catalan?

• jeni_la_gringa

English-USA
    A note to London: I think Catalan is like French, in that the Ç is only used before the vowels a, o, and u if the word has an /s/ sound. On that wikipedia page, I found "Plaça d'Espanya", and I am assuming it is pronounced like "plaza/plasa", not "plaka".

London

English
    There is no doubt that when Barcelona is shortened it is spelt Barça with the cedilla but is there a Catalan out there who could confirm if you ever spell the city Barçelona with the cedilla en Català

Juan Jacob Vilalta

Banned
    Español/Francés
    I don't know Catalan, but I think it's easy to make a logical guess as to why the shortened version ("Barça") is written with a cedilla. In "Barcelona" there is an "e" after a "c". This changes to an "a" in "Barça". The sound of an "a" after a "c" must be different to that of an "e" after a "c" (which happens in Spanish also), so in order to maintain the original "c" sound in "Barcelona", the cedilla is required. I'm sure a Catalan will tell us if this is correct or not, but I'm pretty sure that must be the reason why.

Correct.

Barca would be pronounced Barka.

Pinairun

A note to London: I think Catalan is like French, in that the Ç is only used before the vowels a, o, and u if the word has an /s/ sound. On that wikipedia page, I found "Plaça d'Espanya", and I am assuming it is pronounced like "plaza/plasa", not "plaka".
    I don't know Catalan, but I think it's easy to make a logical guess as to why the shortened version ("Barça") is written with a cedilla. In "Barcelona" there is an "e" after a "c". This changes to an "a" in "Barça". The sound of an "a" after a "c" must be different to that of an "e" after a "c" (which happens in Spanish also), so in order to maintain the original "c" sound in "Barcelona", the cedilla is required. I'm sure a Catalan will tell us if this is correct or not, but I'm pretty sure that must be the reason why.
    You're both right.

Singular = Plaça (plasa)
    Plural = Places (plases)

zoolon

català
    Yes, we say "BarSalona" with the sound:"S" like "sell" after the "S" we say "A" like "fArm" not "E" like "BarSalona", but we write Barcelona, like in spanish, but In spanish it say the sound "c" of that word , Barthelona like your "th" like "THink" and they say "E" not "A", Visca el Barça! (we write the Ç onli befoure the "A" when we pronuncied "C" like "th" like "thing") so the word barcelona it's writes with "C" because the word is "Celona" not "Çalona", I know the latin lenguiches are soooooooo complicates, not dificult, cooooomplicates, but, Visca el Barça!!!!!

Pep Serra

Catalan
    There is no doubt that when Barcelona is shortened it is spelt Barça with the cedilla but is there a Catalan out there who could confirm if you ever spell the city Barçelona with the cedilla en Català
    Hi, I am catalan. Let me explain how Barcelona is spelled and shortened.
    Barcelona (Bæ-r-sæl-lóh-næ is how is spelled in Catalan (notice the longer L and Bah-r-theh-lóh-nah in Spanish; both official languages in Catalonia)
    When written, Barcelona is normally shortened as BCN and when spelled it is shortened as Barna (Báh-r-næ in Catalan and Báh-r-nah in Spanish).
    æ is the neutral vowel we use in Catalan most of the time in the Easter side of the country and it is made like putting your mouth like saying E but you say A at the same time; it is closer to A but more neutral or lazy or closing more your mouth.
    Barça is the football team nickname for Football Club Barcelona (Futbol Club Barcelona) and it is never used to name the city itself. This is the most common mistake.
    So to sum up,
    Catalonia is the country
    Catalan is the language
    Catalans the inhabitants
    Barcelona the capital city
    BCN is how the city is shortened when writing it
    Barna is how is spelled when talking in an informal way
    And Barça is the football club

Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    DCVB
    Fon.: bəɾsəlónə (pir-or., or., bal.); baɾselónɛ (Ll.); baɾselóna (val.); balsaɾóna (alg.).

In short, Barçelona does not exist.

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Well, and then there's that local xava way of saying it by many young speakers (which obviously cannot be featured in that good old dictionary), which would be /bɐrsɐ'lonɐ/ or even /barsa'lona/. :)

< Previous | Next >