arrestado por provecho

< Previous | Next >

laila84nc

English US
Hola a todos,

Recibí una llamada hoy de un hombre que dijo que su hermano fue arrestado "por provecho." A continuación, dijo que la novia del hermano estaba embarazada y necesitó un abogado para el defender al hermano entre otras cosas. I had the hardest time figuring out what he meant by "provecho." ¿Alguien me podría ayudar?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Lerma

Yo también había pensado en cohecho y cuando estaba a punto de mandar la respuesta me he dado cuenta de la historia de la novia embarazada (que suponía que era relevante en la consulta) y no lo he enviado.

laila84nc

English US
    Hmmm..., es posible que fuese cohecho. Pensé que era provecho, porque él tenía acento raro, así que tal vez malentendí. ¡Muchas gracias a todos! :)

mnewcomb71

USA - English
    I am a little bit confused about era embarazada y necesito un abogado..., there seems to be a little bit of verb tense confusion here, and maybe a little bit of a falso amigo?

Heredianista

English - USA
    Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps this will serve someone in the future. I am a phone interpreter for US Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). I just finished a call in which a woman from Mexico said, over and over, that her son had been arrested, and this is how she phrased it: "Lo arrestaron de provecho." She was definitely not saying "cohecho."

I never did find out what he had been arrested for. I asked her what she meant by "de provecho" but she was too distraught to reply. It was a very short call because she had called a hotline that is not equipped to offer the kind of assistance she was seeking. But it left me wondering what she meant when she was saying "Lo arrestaron de provecho."

I add this to this discussion because in this case it was clear that she was using the word "provecho" and not "cohecho."

So the question remains: What does it mean to say that someone is arrested "por provecho" or "de provecho"?

Although I appreciate the time and effort that all of you have contributed to participating in this discussion, none of the comments above answers this question. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has an idea of what "provecho" means in this context.

Thank you all for your time and thoughtfulness, as always.

~ ~ ~
    Notes:

As for your comment, mnewcomb71, I imagine that "necesito" was merely a typographical error for "necesita." Either that, or laila84nc meant that she herself needed to find a lawyer to defend the brother in question.

Marxelo, your comment perplexes me. I cannot imagine how "un hombre que dijo que su hermano fue arrestado 'por provecho'" could possibly mean "que el acusado se aprovechó de la hermana." Especially since there is no sister mentioned in the original query at all.

elcarnicero88

I can shed some light on this issue, living in the Southwest U.S. - Northern Mexico border region and being familiar with the phenomenon of "Spanglish"...

In fact, people are Hispanicizing the English word "probation". "Que fue arrestado por provecho" likely means the subject was arrested for a parole violation (por incumplimiento de los términos de libertad condicional).

If the pronunciation of "probation" is formatted according to standard Spanish phonetics, it becomes "provéichon", which sounds very similar to "provecho".

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people have taken this one step further and may be pronouncing this exactly like "provecho"; this happens a lot with Spanglish. Other examples of Hispanicized versions of English words are:
    "mofle" (muffler)
    "morojón" (motor home)
    "carapila" (caterpillar - tractor)

Hola a todos,

Recibí una llamada hoy de un hombre que dijo que su hermano fue arrestado "por provecho." A continuación, dijo que la novia del hermano fue embarazada y necesito un abogado para el defender al hermano entre otras cosas. I had the hardest time figuring out what he meant by "provecho." ¿Alguien me podría ayudar?
    Para mí que es cohecho. Además me parece muy extraño lo de "arrestado". Me suena a francés "arrêté", no de detenido, sino de "parado".

Saludos.

rosa1236

English
    Agree with el carnicero - it's probation - a word that we don't even both translating in most letters because all our clients know exactly what probation/provecho means. I'm translating a letter right now where the client wants to be deported as soon as possible "o que me den provecho para no bolver."

laila84nc

English US
    I realize this comes late (haven't logged in in a while), but thanks to all who shined light on the meaning. Provecho meaning probation makes a lot of since.

I mentioned that part about the pregnant girlfriend in case it helped us figure out what "proveció'" meant; clearly it was not a relevant detail.

Mil gracias de nuevo.

< Previous | Next >