Allophones or separate phonemes of words

< Previous | Next >

Bubble21

Danish - Denmark
Hi
Is the [æ] sound in [mʲætʲ] an allophone or do the sound represent two or three separate phonemes?
I have difficulty with this, but could it be an allophone?

Спасибо

• Bubble21

Danish - Denmark
    Yes, it's one of the allophones of /а/:

I think it's somewhat more closed than the average English /æ/.
    By the way, I don't think that /a/ which isn't directly followed by another soft consonant can qualify (even though its quality noticeably changes anyway).
    So it is two separate phonemes?
    How do you identify allophones and two separate phonemes, if you don't know the language very well? Here i am talking about the sounds [e], [ɛ] and [æ]. Does it have somthing to do with the consonants that are come before and after the vowels? Can the [e] in dvʲerʲ be identified as an allophone as well? :)

Awwal12

Russian
    So it is two separate phonemes?
    There are only 5 canonical vowel phonemes in Russian - /a/, /i/, /e/, /o/, /u/. (/Y/ can be considered a marginal phoneme, because there are very few situations where it's actually opposed to /i/ by itelf).
    Their actual realization, however, hugely depends on their position in relation to the stressed syllable and on the surrounding consonants (if any). Some of the allophones are actually precieved as distinct sounds by Russian speakers, some aren't, but in any case they're only allophones of the phonemes listed above.

Bubble21

Danish - Denmark
    There are only 5 canonical vowel phonemes in Russian - /a/, /i/, /e/, /o/, /u/. (/Y/ can be considered a marginal phoneme, because there are very few situations where it's actually opposed to /i/ by itelf).
    Their actual realization, however, hugely depends on their position in relation to the stressed syllable and on the surrounding consonants (if any). Some of the allophones are actually precieved as distinct sounds by Russian speakers, some aren't, but in any case they're only allophones of the phonemes listed above.
    Super. Thank you very much ))

< Previous | Next >