All dialects: false friends

< Previous | Next >

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
I think "buttermilk" is لبن مخيض in Palestinian. (There's also لبن رايب, but I'm not totally sure what that is.) سمنة is specifically "ghee," isn't it?
In Morocco, the word is masculine (سمن) and refers to "ghee" only. This usage crosses Egypt/Sudan then (without stopping).

• Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    نو in Morocco and Algeria (Tunisia also?) means "rain" while in Yemeni, it means "clouds".
    ازار in Morocco means "sheet" (for covering oneself to sleep) and in Yemen, it's a piece of cloth you wrap around your waist to cover the lower half of the body.
    Another one which didn't come my mind until now is بيت: in Morocco, it means "room" (بيت النعاس, بيت الراحة etc) while in many other, it means "home".

(Source: a Yemeni I met few times ago we started discussing about that matter).

Last edited:

akhooha

English - USA
    Back in the early 80s in Yemen, one had to make international phone calls through the post office. I went with an Egyptian friend of mine so he could call his wife. After a few times of him going to the counter and then waiting, nothing happened. Finally he told me that the guy at the counter kept telling him ماشي which to his mind meant "OK, going through". I explained to him that in Sanaani the guy was saying ما شيء ---- meaning "nothing ---- (not working)"

< Previous | Next >