Aggressive, rude ways of addressing a boy or man

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning ladies & gentlemen, what aggressive, rude words do you use in your language or other languages you know for addrssing a man or boy??? I do not mean vulgar expression, just a simple rude word which means if somebody says it to you, well, you would not be very happy. Thank you in advance and have a productive day. Enco from Prague.

North American English: bub, bubba - Example: Hey, bub, I'm looking for someone.
Hungarian: hékás [origin: hé [hey!]] - Example: Te, hékás, keresek valakit.

• Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Before giving a fuller list for my own language, it might be interesting to note that in some cases, in English, at least, some expressions can be 'rude' and 'endearing' at the same time. This may depend on the context, the situation the speaker finds themselves in and regional (e.g. English English vs Australian English) and a combination of these and other factors.

I'm thinking specifically of the following two words, both of which, I would argue, could be seen as disrespectful and respectful depending on context - (old) bugger and bastard.

Another point to bear in mind, @Encolpius, is that, I presume you are looking for examples from the modern language. I can think of the highly offensive knave in the Middle period for English, whereas today it's probably much more limited to, say, the name of a playing card.

Awwal12

Russian
    Speaking about the words which aren't generally rude (or at least cannot be used as insults) but are rude when used in addressing, Russian doesn't provide many options here.
    I suppose, "чел" (chél) ['ʨɛɫ] could be one of the examples. It's a slangish shortening of chelovék "human, person"; can be even used in certain affirmative contexts, but not as a direct addressing. (I wouldn't like to hear ['sɫɨ:ʂ 'ʨɛɫ] - "hey/listen, man".)
    To think about it, "парень" (páren') ['paɾʲɪnʲ] "lad" would be pretty demeaning in that context too (as long as the addressing person isn't really considerably older).
    Before giving a fuller list for my own language, it might be interesting to note that in some cases, in English, at least, some expressions can be 'rude' and 'endearing' at the same time.
    Well, that's far from unique ( :warning: "you're the best son of a bich I've ever seen" can be quite literally translated into many languages, that's for sure).

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Sion, I agree with you completely, I think it works in all languages, "hékás" to a 6-year old boy said by his granny can be endearing, etc, but that would make this thread very sophisticated, I am interested in common simple situations. I will be appy if I get some answers at least any way. ;):)

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    I think moleque could be slightly offensive in Brazil: Vem cá, moleque. (Come here, boy.)

Greek:

-«Κωλόπαιδο» [kɔˈlɔ.pe.ðɔ] (neut.) :warning: --> arsehole, lit. arse-kid. Extremely rude.
    It's a compound, formed with the oblique «κωλο-» [kɔlɔ-] of MoGr masc. «κώλος» [ˈkɔlɔs] --> the slang name of but, arse < Byz.Gr. «κῶλος» kôlos (masc.) --> thigh, lower extremity body part, later, butt, buttocks < Classical neut. «κῶλον» kôlŏn --> member (of animal or human being), body part, especially the leg, metaph. (punctuation) colon, (med.) colon (of unknown etymology) + MoGr neut. «παιδί» [peˈði] --> child, kid < Byzantine Gr. neut. hypocoristic diminutive «παιδίον» pai̯díon (neut.) --> child < Classical 3rd declension masc./fem. noun «παῖς» paî̯s (masc./fem. nom. sing.), paî̯dós (masc./fem. gen. sing.) --> (masc.) child, slave, servant, son, boy, (fem.) girl, daughter (PIE *peh₂-u- few, little cf Lat. adj. paucus, few, little).

-«Τσογλάνι» [ʦ͡ɔˈɣla.ni] (neut.) :warning: --> bum, scoundrel, scumbaɡ < Tur. iç oğlan [it͡ʃ oːˈɫɑn]. Rude but dated.

-And of course the worldwide known Greek insult (?) «μαλάκας» [maˈla.kas] (masc.).

They can be used for addresing both boys or adult males, with the exception of «μαλάκας» which is reserved for adults only.

< Previous | Next >