та самая пора чего-н

< Previous | Next >

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
Hello,

I would like to ask a question regarding the text in bold in the following sentence:

На физику я пошла только потому, что была та самая пора физиков и лириков и все хотели стать физиками.

I wonder if "была та самая пора физиков и лириков" means "it was a period of phycisists and lyric poets"?
(I.e. a period when many people chose to become physicists and lyric poets)?

Or maybe, I misunderstood it?

The text is from Эксперимент над школьницами СССР: результаты шокировали - Страница 13 из 15 - NiceMe

• Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    Thanks for the answers!
    Should "та самая пора физиков и лириков" in this text then be understood as something like "an era dominated by many physicists and a few lyric poets"?

Maroseika

Russian
    Thanks for the answers!
    Should "та самая пора физиков и лириков" in this text then be understood as something like "an era dominated by many physicists and a few lyric poets"?
    Not exactly, it's actually not about poets and poetry proper, but rather about opposition of technicians and humanists (гуманитарии in its specific Russian sense).

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    Not exactly, it's actually not about poets and poetry proper, but rather about opposition of technicians and humanists (гуманитарии in its specific Russian sense).
    OK, thanks. It seems tricky to me :) Could "та самая пора физиков и лириков" then be understood as something like "an era where you had the choice between a career within technical and humanist sciences"?

Maroseika

Russian
    OK, thanks. It seems tricky to me :) Could "та самая пора физиков и лириков" then be understood as something like "an era where you had the choice between a career within technical and humanist sciences"?
    I'd rather say an era of heated debates who is more imporant for the society - физики or лирики, both in the broad sense, i.e. not just about sciense but about professions: engineer vs philologist, mechanic vs artist etc.

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    I'd rather say an era of heated debates who is more imporant for the society - физики or лирики, both in the broad sense, i.e. not just about sciense but about professions: engineer vs philologist, mechanic vs artist etc.
    Thanks so much. So, as I understand, "та самая пора чего-н", in itself, means "the era of something". But in this specific article, considering its context, it is likely to be about an era of heated debates of who is more important for the society - физики or лирики, in the broad sense

Maroseika

Russian
    Yes.
    та самая пора массовых репрессий
    та самая пора светлых надежд
    та самая пора горя и страха
    та самая пора бури и натиска (Sturm und Drang)
    etc.

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    No. "Пора физиков и лириков" is a reference to the particular era opened up by one particular poem, when most people basically wanted to become physicists and NOT lyric poets.
    Thanks also for the Wikipedia link, it explains a lot!
    The link states: "«Физики и лирики» — одно из самых известных стихотворений Слуцкого[3][4]. Его название стало крылатым выражением и употребляется в значении «люди науки и люди искусства» "

And the link also provides the text of the poem.
    Now, everything makes much more sense to me.

In "та самая пора", I assume that "та самая" has approximately the same meaning as the English "the"

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    Thanks also for the Wikipedia link, it explains a lot!
    The link states: "«Физики и лирики» — одно из самых известных стихотворений Слуцкого[3][4]. Его название стало крылатым выражением и употребляется в значении «люди науки и люди искусства» "

And the link also provides the text of the poem.
    Now, everything makes much more sense to me.

In "та самая пора", I assume that "та самая" has approximately the same meaning as the English "the"
    ~"The very".

< Previous | Next >